Home Sport English Premier League Watford 1- 1 Newcastle United

Watford 1- 1 Newcastle United

Watford 1- 1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United’s winless start to the Premier League campaign continues after Watford snatched a 1-1 draw in the second half at Vicarage Road.

Sean Longstaff gave Newcastle the lead, but Ismaila Sarr levelled for the improved hosts after the break.

VAR then denied Watford’s Joshua King a late winner for offside, while substitute Jacob Murphy squandered a great chance in stoppage time for the visitors.

On a scrappy afternoon that saw seven yellow cards handed out, Australian referee Jarred Gillett made history as he became the first overseas official to take charge of a Premier League match.

Watford, who had lost their two previous home matches, almost made the perfect start with Karl Darlow forced into a smart double save to deny Emmanuel Dennis after he was played through by King.

But, against a backdrop of more chants against manager Steve Bruce and owner Mike Ashley from the away end, Newcastle soon took the lead.

Longstaff had already taken two shots from range, but in 23 minutes, he found the breakthrough. Ben Foster got a hand to his dipping effort, but it wasn’t enough to keep it out.

Darlow denied Sarr when the Senegal winger drove in from the right and unleashed a shot destined for the bottom corner before he tipped Juraj Kucka’s free-kick around the post as the hosts searched for parity.

With halftime looming, Newcastle squandered an excellent chance for a second. Craig Cathcart’s backpass was latched on to by Allan Saint-Maximin, who looked to play in Longstaff, but it was slightly behind him and the midfielder could only shoot over.

Newcastle had more chances after the break, with Foster saving from Miguel Almiron, Joelinton and Joe Willock. They paid the price for wastefulness when Sarr levelled with a header at the back post from a corner 18 minutes from time.

In Other News – Leicester City 2 – 2 Burnley

Jamie Vardy scored twice – as well as an own goal – as Leicester City came from behind to deny Burnley a first Premier League win of the season.

Leicester City 2 -2 Burnley

Vardy rounded Clarets goalkeeper Nick Pope from substitute Kelechi Iheanacho’s through ball with five minutes remaining to complete an eventful afternoon for the in-form Foxes striker. learn more