Home World Elon Musk removes news headlines from displaying on X, formerly Twitter

Elon Musk removes news headlines from displaying on X, formerly Twitter

7
0
Elon Musk

Elon Musk‘s social media platform X has stripped headlines from news articles shared by users, in a move likely to further worsen relations with media groups. The tycoon has long railed against the “legacy media” and claims X, formerly Twitter, is a better source of information.

However, he said the latest change was for “aesthetic” reasons  news and other links now appear only as pictures with no accompanying text. Musk took over Twitter last year in a $44 billion deal and has since renamed it X, sacked thousands of staff and drawn criticism for allowing banned conspiracy theorists and extremists back on the platform, sending advertisers fleeing.

He has also banned and reinstated  various journalists with mainstream outlets including the Washington Post and CNN, as well as appearing to delay posts from accounts including the New York Times.

Some media groups have stopped posting to X altogether. AFP and other French news outlets launched a legal case in early August accusing X of copyright breaches.

“I almost never read legacy news anymore,” Musk posted on Tuesday. What’s the point of reading 1,000 words about something that was already posted on X several days ago?” When the changes to links were first mooted in August, he posted: “This is coming from me directly. Will greatly improve the esthetics.

The most recent changes appear to have been introduced gradually this week. Instead of seeing a headline along with a picture, users now see only a picture with a small watermark.

Some users have already commented that it is now difficult to distinguish between news and other kinds of information, which is likely to raise questions about the trustworthiness of the site. In September, the European Commission said X had a higher ratio of misinformation and disinformation than any other social media.

Source: eNCA

In other news – SK Khoza is allegedly banned from entering the UK for the next five years

Controversial entertainment blogger Musa Khawula took to his social media and shared a document alleging that it came from Home Affairs in the United Kingdom (UK) which stated that South African actor Sthembiso ‘SK’ Khoza is banned from the UK for a duration of five years.

SK Khoza

According to the document obtained by entertainment blogger Musa Khawula and shared on social media, SK Khoza is said to have allegedly violated. Read more