Home South Africa News Taxi Boss Case Takes Twist as Lead Prosecutor Goes Missing

Taxi Boss Case Takes Twist as Lead Prosecutor Goes Missing

0
0
Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is under intense scrutiny after a major disruption in the high-profile extortion case involving well-known taxi boss Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni, which led to the sudden collapse of court proceedings in Mpumalanga.

The matter, which also involves businessman and taxi operator Bafana Sindane alongside two co-accused, came to an abrupt halt at the Kwaggafontein Magistrates Court after the State prosecutor assigned to the case failed to appear in court and later became unreachable.

Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni

The absence immediately derailed proceedings that were expected to continue with a bail application, leaving the court unable to proceed. As a result, the matter was struck off the roll, effectively pausing the case until it can be properly re-enrolled.

During the tense court sitting, Chief Magistrate Tule Tu Tonjeni strongly criticised the situation, declaring the prosecutor in contempt of court and issuing a warrant for their arrest. The magistrate also indicated that the incident would be escalated to the Office of the National Director of Public Prosecutions for further attention.

The accused face serious charges including one count of extortion and two counts of money laundering. The allegations stem from claims made by a Mpumalanga businessman who says he was forced to pay approximately R2 million over a three-year period as part of a so-called “protection fee” linked to intimidation and criminal pressure.

The case had drawn significant public interest due to the prominence of the accused within local taxi and business circles, as well as broader concerns about extortion networks operating in parts of the country.

The NPA confirmed that disciplinary steps had already been taken against the prosecutor prior to Monday’s court appearance. The official has since been suspended pending an internal investigation, though authorities have not yet provided details on the circumstances surrounding the disappearance.

According to the NPA, efforts to locate and contact the prosecutor have so far been unsuccessful, raising further questions about what led to the sudden no-show and ongoing unavailability.

NPA Director of Public Prosecutions Mthunzi Mhaga said the organisation currently has no clear explanation for the situation.

“We are unable to even think or speculate on what could have happened in the circumstances where there is no explanation that has been forthcoming,” he said.

The unexpected collapse of proceedings has sparked concern among legal observers, who say the incident highlights vulnerabilities in the justice system, particularly in complex and sensitive criminal cases where continuity of prosecution is critical.

While the case has been struck off the roll, legal experts have clarified that this does not amount to an acquittal, and the accused are not cleared of wrongdoing. The State still retains the right to re-enroll the matter once administrative and investigative issues are resolved.

The NPA says it is now working to have the case reinstated through the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in Mpumalanga, in an effort to ensure that the matter proceeds to trial.

For now, however, the case remains in limbo, with unanswered questions surrounding the missing prosecutor adding an unusual twist to an already serious and closely watched criminal matter.